Oracle Education Foundation Partners with Directorate of School Education, Puducherry to Help Students Develop 21st Century Skills
Puducherry, India – February 25, 2010
· The Oracle Education Foundation (OEF) and Directorate of School Education, Government of Puducherry (DSE), today signed a Memorandum of Understanding to deploy the ThinkQuest platform in DSE schools in the Union Territory.
· ThinkQuest is a protected, online learning platform that enables teachers to integrate learning projects into their classroom curriculum and students to develop critical 21st century skills, including creativity, communication, teamwork, and technology skills.
· This partnership is expected to benefit 25,000 students from 427 government schools over the next three years.
· In phase one, 450 teachers from high schools and higher secondary schools will be trained to integrate 21st century skills instruction and project learning into their curriculum using the ThinkQuest platform. In phase two, 550 teachers from middle and primary schools designated by DSE as ‘Smart Schools’ will receive the same training.
· After this initial training, selected teachers will be eligible to attend OEF’s Project Learning Institute, an advanced training course on project learning methodology.
· This partnership supports DSE, Government of Puducherry’s campaign to enable government schools to offer a state-of-the-art online learning environment to their students.
· ThinkQuest supports India’s National Curriculum Framework (NCF 2005) of the National Council for Educational Research and Training (NCERT) in its objective to adopt project learning in classrooms across the country.
· First launched in India in 2004, ThinkQuest currently supports over 210,000 students and teachers in 1550+ schools across the country including Kendriya Vidyalayas, Navodaya Vidyalayas, DPS, DAV and other schools.
· “At DSE we endeavor to provide access to quality education to each child in the Union Territory of Puducherry. Technology is an invaluable tool to facilitate student-teacher development. This partnership will enable our students to compete and collaborate with internationally acclaimed educational institutions and enthuse them to pursue higher education,” said Dr S. Sundaravadivelu, Director of School Education, Government of Puducherry.
· “Our partnership with Directorate of School Education, Puducherry is a testament to our commitment to building a knowledge economy in India. By providing DSE, Puducherry students with access to ThinkQuest, we empower them to broaden their horizons and develop critical skills they need for life and work in the 21st century,” said Krishna Sistla, Senior Director, Oracle Education Initiatives, Asia Pacific and Japan.
· Oracle Education Foundation
· Become a fan of ThinkQuest on Facebook
· View the Oracle Education Foundation YouTube channel
About Oracle Education Foundation
The Oracle Education Foundation is a nonprofit organization funded by Oracle. It delivers ThinkQuest, a widely acclaimed education technology program, to K-12 schools globally. ThinkQuest is a protected, online learning platform that enables teachers to integrate learning projects into their classroom curriculum and students to develop critical 21st century skills. For more information, visit http://www.oraclefoundation.org
# # #
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ:ORCL), visit http://www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.