Bangladesh Election Commission Improves Biometric Identification and Voter Registration System Performance by 300% with Oracle Exadata Database Machine
Dhaka – April, 30th, 2012
- The new system stores voter information such as fingerprints, photos, signatures and contact details for approximately 89 million Bangladeshi voters across 602 remote locations and is capable of scaling further to accommodate the three to five percent year-on-year growth in registrations as more citizens reach legal voting age. Apart from Exadata, BEC has implemented Oracle SOA Suite, Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition, and Oracle WebLogic Server to enhance data integration, security and overall system management capabilities.
- The previous system involved some 500 hundred silo databases, making it vulnerable to security threats and manipulation. BEC chose the Oracle solutions to help ensure utmost security, uninterrupted service during elections and a single source of truth for voter information. Identification queries with fingerprints are processed and served in less than 30 seconds. The upgrade has also supported BEC with the ability to provide online citizen identification services to various government and non government organizations.
- In addition, enhanced security features which integrates reporting capabilities to track and analyze how staff across different locations use the identification system doubles business benefits by tightly protecting data while providing transparency around voting process. The new system cuts database administration and management requirements between 20 to 30 percent.
- TigerIT, a Gold level member of Oracle PartnerNetwork (OPN) provided consulting and support services for the implementation, which was successfully done in just three weeks. The project went live in April 2011.
- “Oracle Exadata Database Machine has provided us with advanced data security, processing, and administration functions,” said Brigadier General Akhtaruzzaman Siddique, psc, te, National Project Director, PERP and FINIDC Project, Bangladesh Election Commission. “By including the scalable database machine in our identification and voter registration system, I believe we now have the best data capturing and management solution available.”
- “The Oracle Exadata Database Machine delivers a compelling, pre-configured solution for customers to deploy applications at the speed of business,” said Chris Chelliah, Vice President & Chief Architect, Oracle Asia Pacific. “The performance benefits being experienced by Bangladesh Election Commission are phenomenal and in line with the value experienced by Exadata customers globally. We are confident that with the Oracle Exadata Database Machine, organizations can continue to expand service offerings to their customers at the best price/performance point."
· Datasheet: Oracle Exadata Database Machine X2-2
· Demo: Oracle Exadata Database Machine X2-2
· Customer Reference Booklet: Customers Achieve Extreme Performance at Lowest Cost with Oracle Exadata Database Machine
· Connect with Oracle Database via Blog, Facebook and Twitter
· Oracle SOA Suite
· Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition
· Oracle WebLogic Server
About Bangladesh Election Commission
Bangladesh Election Commission (BEC) is an independent constitutional body responsible for conducting Bangladesh’s local and general elections. Headquartered in Dhaka, the BEC has more than 600 regional offices and locations, and more than 1,500 staff. For more information about BEC, visit http://www.ecs.gov.bd/
About Oracle Exadata
The Oracle Exadata Database Machine is the only database machine that provides extreme performance for both data warehousing and online transaction processing (OLTP) applications, making it the ideal platform for consolidating onto grids or private clouds. It is a complete package of servers, storage, networking, and software that is massively scalable, secure, and redundant. With Oracle Exadata Database Machine, customers can reduce IT costs through consolidation, manage more data on multiple compression tiers, improve performance of all applications, and make better business decisions in real time.
About Oracle in Bangladesh
Oracle has been operating in Bangladesh since 1999 though a local partner. Oracle’s commitment extends to its extensive network of alliances, channel partners and resellers in Bangladesh, who are members of the Oracle PartnerNetwork. Today, Oracle along with its 25 partners serve many local organizations across key industry sectors including government, financial services, telecommunications and manufacturing with Oracle technology and applications to gain greater operational and cost efficiencies. Bangladesh is one of the countries in Oracle’s SAGE (South Asia Growth Economies) West region, others being Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Bhutan and Nepal.
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NASDAQ:ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
# # #